RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Ping

I think the following is very interesting actually. There's no way Cairo
is going to be unusably slow. Xara's speed isn't all a result of CDraw
but the entire architecture is designed for speed, and so that benefit
applies to whatever rendering library is used.

And of course it tends only to be the really complicated drawings with
thousands of polygons that really require the speed, so I'd bet that for
most day to day drawings and graphic jobs Cairo is going to be fine and
more than usable in Xara Xtreme.

So I agree with Alex that, if the worst comes to the worst, and we do
not release CDraw, Cairo is a perfectly good fall back, and in some ways
a better solution (e.g. because it's using the platform's standard
rendering library instead). I know Inkscape have often mentioned a
desire to move to Cairo for similar reasons. And so the sentiment that
Xara Xtreme is useless without CDraw is plainly just not true.

And for someone that knew Cairo or studied the CDraw interface in Xara
Xtreme this is not really that difficult a job. I would bet who knew
what they were doing could have something operational in days (obviously
a lot longer to get it fully functional).

Charles

PS One of the obvious 'disastrous' scenarios for CDraw, and indeed the
whole project, is if were to be ported back to Windows and used to
compete against our commercial versions, so jeopardising the revenue and
jobs of the staff working on the product. i.e. exactly what that Mike
'tamlin' character is trying to achieve (as well as sprouting rubbish
about us going against GPL).

We can't stop the program being used in any way of course, but we've
said from day one were that to happen we'd regard that as very bad news
and probably withdraw form the project. We can't, obviously, jeopardise
the jobs of the staff who are working on the product, just because
self-interested individual wants to create Windows version of the
product to compete against us, and so go against the interests of the
vast majority - who care only about a Linux (or Mac) version of the
product.