Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Moving to Cairo (was Ping)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:04:34 +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> One disadvantage of Carl's proposal is that it means Cairo would always
> have to draw into an off-screen bitmap, which (as I understand it)
> means it loses most hardware acceleration; that's because all the
> GRenderRegion classes (which use the GDrawContext) assume the existence
> of an underlying accessible bitmap (as opposed to OSRenderRegion which
> doesn't).

Yes, assuming an accessible, underlying bitmap means using cairo's
"image" backend which does mean you just get cairo's (not too
impressive) software doing all the rendering. This is opposed to
things like the xlib backend that uses the Render extension, the win32
backend that uses GDI, the glitz backend that uses OpenGL, and the
quartz backend that uses, (oddly enough), Quartz.

> That's a much harder thing to fix, and is probably best fixed
> once Cairo is in the obvious way (i.e. replacing GDraw/CDraw).

Right, the stuff I proposed is simply a means of breaking the "xaralx
is non-free software" deadlock.

-Carl