Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: mplayer binary

Alex Bligh wrote:
How is the mplayer binary meant to work on non-i386 systems, or
non-Linux systems? It seems to use wxMediaControl; will this use
an installed mplayer by default? What about (say) AMD64 where
running an i386 multimedia binary is probably not a great idea?

Hit return too soon.

For instance:

bin/mplayer video/Part\ 1\ master\ inc\ audio\ smaller_q35_fr15_hi.ogm
bin/mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It works fine if I use the installed mplayer.

Alex
The presence of mplayer can not be relied upon, so it was decided that it would be easier to ship a minimal version of mplayer. I did try using wxMediaControl, but it was totally unable to play the movies without stuttering so gave up on that.

I don't see running a multimedia binary on x86_64 as a particularly bad idea, as long as the operating system is correctly configured. I suppose a solution would be to allow specification of the path to the mplayer application during configuration or even pull the application name from the mime info.

   Luke