Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] String lenght in forgein languages

Salut,

Séverin Lemaignan schrieb:
> I'm still on the french translation, and a small issue appeared : some
> strings are much longer in french than in english, and are sometimes
> cut. It's particulary the case in the "Options" dialog, which is not
> resizable (cf attached screenshot). Can you do something about it ?

Well, there are even strings in English which don't fit.* I asked a
similar question and Alex answered them (quoted at the bottom of this
email).
In a nut shell: The majority of the dialogs has a fixed pixel size.
There are plans to convert them to to use "sizers", which makes them
resizable and removes this clipped-text problem.

(* Example: "File|Page Options..." -> "General" dialog has also a
clipped string in English: "Make groups be transparent as a whc")

Maybe the following is also of interest: Alex's answer to my translation
question:
>> In addition, I think one really needs some documentation regarding the
>> translations, i.e. what to translate and what not.
>> I'd like to see some general information e.g. for
>>
>> msgid  "&Blank Tool;Activate the blank tool;Blank"
>> msgid "&About Xara XS;Information about Xara XS ;AboutOp"
>> msgid "CAMELOT_BUTTONBAR"
>> msgid "XYZxyz"
>>
>> What to translate and what not? And what means the third entry after the
>> ";"?
>
> Yes indeed. In answer to your specific question, the first is
> the menu entry, the second the help entry, and the third the
> OpToken of the OpDescriptor it invokes (i.e. the internal command
> it is attached to). Do not translate the third one :-)

Tobias