RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: Popup slider

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 21:10 +0100, Charles Moir wrote:
> I've not seen it yet, but I'd agree some sort of border sounds necessary
> and probably should be a 0.7 fix. Another common way of separating
> pop-ups like this is to give them a shadow. Apple do this of course
> everywhere. But I don't know what determines whether this can be done on
> Linux? I've have seen some distros do this, but my Ubuntu (quite old
> now) does not.  Or can it be made to? Or can we do this on a dialog by
> dialog basis? (Requires transparency handling on the desktop presumably)

Yeah, it has a shadow and fade-in and all that fancy stuff if the
desktop is made fancy, as I did just now to test this, as the window
type (as Xorg knows it) seems to be set correctly on the popup.
Just a running compositor that does drop-down shadows as everyone of
them is capable of, adds a shadow to it.

I think a simple border around it would be the most appropriate, so that
it would have a rectangle of darker grey around it, and still not look
out of place (as a raise border as in the windows screenshot on the
website would).
The raised border already works on windows. The problem here is that
wxSlider doesn't honor border styles in wxGTK, and I should probably fix
this inside wxGTK :)
For XaraLX we can add a control inbetween that honors border styles (a
regular panel probably), and set a suitable border style. I'll do that
tomorrow morning (closing to midnight here atm).

I'm attaching a short screencast that shows how it looks like when ran
with the proof of concept compositor (xcompmgr -cC).
If I add a one line rectangle around it, it'll hopefully look like
normal menu and combobox popups do, and have a shadow if a modern
desktop utilizes a compositor (menus and regular combobox popups get a
shadow too).

Mart