Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: configure.in:305: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT

Alex Bligh wrote:
Vasil Dimov wrote:
because all the links (they come with the archive) in the po/
subdirectory point to files in /usr/share/gettext/ whereas these files
are located in /usr/local/share/gettext/ on FreeBSD. After relinking
these links the configure step succeeds, with these warnings:

It can't be right that files in subversion (or in the tar file)
have hard-linked paths. Surely we need to arrange for configure
to create these links? Any idea how other packages do this?

It would seem that the norm is to run both autopoint and
autoreconf from autogen.sh, which is the first thing to run.
So I propose something like this:

modify autogen.sh so it says:

#!/bin/sh
AUTOPOINT=${AUTOPOINT:autopoint}
AUTORECONF=${AUTORECONF:autoreconf}
# Run autopoint, ignoring errors - configure will detect them
$AUTOPOINT --force
$AUTORECONF -f -i -s

That will allow (e.g.) Vasil to give alternate environment variables
for specific AUTOxxx versions.

Then we remove all the po/ directory links from svn (as autopoint
will create them).

In the configure script, for safety, we automatically disable building
of the internationalized resources if autopoint did not do its job
and create Makefile.in.in (just in case someone somehow has gettext
installed but not autopoint).

In the build instructions, we replace the instruction to run
autoreconf -f -i -s with the (more normal) instruction to run
autogen.sh.

How does that sound? Vasil - want to give that a go?

Alex