[XaraXtreme-dev] Re: Success

On 03/06/06, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Fowler wrote:
> On 03/06/06, Ben Fowler <ben.the.mole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ... It has taken me about four calendar
>> days to get the project to link, mainly due to the fact that
>> operations on 590+ source files inevitably take a long time, and two
>> nights.
>
> The Xara.app (r1242) is about 566 MB (XCode2.2) and it runs just as my
> command line one does. I have screen shots to prove it.

Heh that's good. Did you mean 4 days to get things working,
or 4 days to actually run the compile & link. I hope it's
the former!

Calender time (wall time for shorter intervals) includes
interruptions, false starts, other activities, and mishaps. It is not
necessarily a measure of how much resource a manager needs to assign
to a task to get it completed (but probably does reflect the lead time
required for a result after saying 'Yes'); It is intended as a rough
guide as to how much 'time' a volunteer would have to divert from
something else. By the same token, if you are both twice as good as
me, and twice as well organised, you can expect to get it done in one
day. If you are four times as good at dealing with interruptions - all
of these statements are within the realms of possibility - then
perhaps you will do it in some negative time interval.

On a medium performance machine Xara does take a long time to compile
- many hours - but this is not a deal-breaking problem unless one is
faced with false starts et cetera.

There are a lot of people who want a Mac Xara LX, and I am sure that
between us we can come up with some way of getting some of them up and
running with compiling Xara.

I'm taking it the app size is a huge quantity of debugging
symbols. It's 10Mb uncompressed on Linux with minimal
symbols (i.e. after strip -d).

Yes. I think that I have mentioned this before, if not, it is on my
list of things to do. See
http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/03/macintosh_and_t.html about
40% of the way down this long page.

There is now XCode 2.3 which uses DWARF, and this should make things a
lot better.

Ben