Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: Success

Ben,

--On 04 June 2006 12:44 +0100 Ben Fowler <ben.the.mole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Calender time (wall time for shorter intervals) includes
interruptions, false starts, other activities, and mishaps. It is not
necessarily a measure of how much resource a manager needs to assign
to a task to get it completed (but probably does reflect the lead time
required for a result after saying 'Yes'); It is intended as a rough
guide as to how much 'time' a volunteer would have to divert from
something else. By the same token, if you are both twice as good as
me, and twice as well organised, you can expect to get it done in one
day. If you are four times as good at dealing with interruptions - all
of these statements are within the realms of possibility - then
perhaps you will do it in some negative time interval.

On a medium performance machine Xara does take a long time to compile
- many hours - but this is not a deal-breaking problem unless one is
faced with false starts et cetera.

There are a lot of people who want a Mac Xara LX, and I am sure that
between us we can come up with some way of getting some of them up and
running with compiling Xara.

I should have been more specific in my question. It wasn't really
a "calendar time vs wall time" issue. What I meant was you've obviously
put in a lot of hard work to make it compile (and hence a long time).
If the lessons of what you have learnt are made available, it should
(hopefully) be easier for others to do the same, ideally to the level
where they download the sources, install the other prerequisites,
load up the XCode project, hit build, and it all works. If the
it sits there churning away for a few hours, fine (though hardly
a credit to the Mac given it's just running gcc AFAIK), but at least
it doesn't require intervention. I suppose I am asking whether there
are any lessons from what you've done we can take on board to make
it easier for others.

On Linux now (without any special knowledge) building from source
(if you have 2.6.3 Unicode wxWidgets build and installed) should
take no more than actual build time plus ten minutes. No doubt
if you use the gentoo emerge stuff, or a debian source package,
it would get even smaller.

Alex