Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: mplayer binary

Alex Bligh wrote:
Luke,

I don't see running a multimedia binary on x86_64 as a particularly bad idea, as long as the operating system is correctly configured. I suppose a solution would be to allow specification of the path to the mplayer application during configuration or even pull the application name from the mime info.

The problem is not running a multimedia binary per say (as I
said, I have played the movie just fine here - and the penguin
is indeed a fortuitous opening image). The problem is
running a 32bit multimedia binary on a 64bit system as the 32bit
multimedia libraries are not likely to be installed; thus
while (e.g.) "file" will tell you that it's an executable binary,
it won't actually work.
All the multimedia libraries are built into the executable so this is not an issue. The library you had an issue with was not a multimedia one (ncurses), and could probably be removed.

I think most of my problems would be solved if we simply used the
mplayer on the path if is available, and fell back to a default one.
For anyone who is building from source or using a version inside
a distro, certainly that's the right thing to do.
That should be very easy to do.

Certainly autopackage should not be trying to go install 32bit Linux
binaries on non-32bit or non-Linux systems and neither should we
be trying to run them (in my view).
Autopackage is linux only anyway, so that's not an issue. Most (if not all) 64bit machines all have the capability to run 32bit apps, so this is not an issue. Non-intel machines should be sorted by trying the native mplayer first (and rewording the error to give help in installing a suitable mplayer).

I have a suspicion running autopackage on a 64bit system is a
very bad idea anyway as it /looks/ like it will try and install
libc++5 32 bit libraries in a 64 bit library directory but I
haven't yet had the courage/foolhardiness to try.
The only distribution with know difficulties with autopackage and x86_64 is Gentoo and that just fails to install.

On a subsidiary issue, if we are distributing mplayer presumably
we should include its license somewhere, mention where to get
the source code from, etc. etc.
Yes

> wxMediaControl [doesn't work]

Can we report the bug?