Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Blank msgids in po file

At 16:02 09.06.2006, you wrote:
Neil,

Looking at the po file, the first msgid is an empty string and the
second is a space (see below).

Is it straightforward for us to change these 2 id's so they contain at
least 1 non-whitespace char or are they like this for a good reason?

msgid   ""
msgstr  "Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
        "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: bugs@xxxxxxxx\n"
        "POT-Creation-Date: 2006-06-09 12:05+0100\n"
        "PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"
        "Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>\n"
        "Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL@xxxxxx>\n"

That one is deliberate. An empty message ID is reserved explicitly for
this purpose. I can't see this will be confusing his tools. xgettext
itself generates this.

msgid   " "
msgstr  ""

That's what I translate empty strings to. I bet this one is the culprit. I
can drop them instead if you like. Can you file a bug please so I don't
forget to fix it. In the mean time, all he need do is delete this string
(I hope).

Alex

Unfortunately my tool (Passolo) does not like the first empty one. The "space" one is ok. So is it a fact that the empty one is ok by definition of the format? Then I will ask the Passolo developers to fix that.

Markus