Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: Success

On 12/06/06, Neil Howe <NeilH@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [ snip ]
>
> 3 The means (or perhaps merely the methods and concepts) for an
>   interested Mac person to produce a development
>   version on their own platform ideally as a one-step operation

Well logically we should aim for these in the order 3, 2, 1. But sadly I
don't think we're even at 3 yet are we, so that should be the first
target.

If I can take that as a decision, then I can create and send some
patches to implement the ideas along the lines of my post
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/maillists/archive/dev/msg00046.html . Whilst
I have had little success patching XCode projects, it is my
understanding that Apple have progressively improved the ability to
patch and version these bundles and it might work.

I would also recommend creating a folder 'MacOS' for Mac stuff, to
keep it out the way of other people, or if this is not possible, then
a 'xarapbx' folder for project files.

There might be some things that could still stand in the way of a
first-timer, namely,

* The 'build resources' script and the 'wxrc' executable

I would also suggest creating and providing

* Frameworks (a MacOS variant on dynamic libraries) for wxWindowx, wxXtra
* A Mac oriented 'Read Me' file for issues or 'Notes' for things still to do

(The wxXtra files will not compile inside the current project file,
because they are not compatible with the Xara prefix header: We need
either to fix the incompatibility - which seems to result from wxXtra
pulling in old Classic Mac headers - or more reasonably provide a
wxXtra target which does not use the Xara prefix header (if my
understanding of the status of wxXtra is correct, then it does not
need this prefix file)).

Lastly, note that Bug 935 "APPLICATION CLOSE" for certain, and
possibly one other, are currently unfixed in svn, and if reproducible
(preferably with a stack trace), I can provide patches.

Ben