Linking and Libraries (was [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: Success)

On 13/06/06, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

> Last time I looked, late on Saturday, nothing in Xara LX is built as a
> separate library: This is way I speak of operations on 590 object
> files. (This must be as painful for you as it is for me, and I am
> guessing that there is a reason for it).

It builds as a separate library from the Makefile. I can't speak
for how the XCode project works (or doesn't work). Each of
the directories in fact builds as a separate library using
the Makefile, but actually it is only necessary that wxXtra
should.

I certainly accept that conclusion, but could I put down a marker in
case I ever get around to discussing it, that I would not be able to
claim that I had seen 'make' use libraries in "each of the
directories". In fact, using XCode, I have not been able to link the
the object files in individual directories; and this was why I needed
to wait for Xara to deliver an XCode project the ones that I have
created, compile the sources but can't link them. 'make' seems to do
the final link using a command line with words like Kernel/*.o and
wxOil/*.o

Ben.