Re: Linking and Libraries (was [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: Success)

Alex: Why do you say that its /necessary/ for wxXtra to be built as a separate library?

Ben: If we can turn ZeroLink back on in the Xcode project (currently disabled because it caused problems) we will recover the purported performance benefits, and more, that the makefile gains by linking the project in chunks.

Phil

On 13 Jun 2006, at 13:21, Ben Fowler wrote:

On 13/06/06, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

> Last time I looked, late on Saturday, nothing in Xara LX is built as a
> separate library: This is way I speak of operations on 590 object
> files. (This must be as painful for you as it is for me, and I am
> guessing that there is a reason for it).

It builds as a separate library from the Makefile. I can't speak
for how the XCode project works (or doesn't work). Each of
the directories in fact builds as a separate library using
the Makefile, but actually it is only necessary that wxXtra
should.

I certainly accept that conclusion, but could I put down a marker in
case I ever get around to discussing it, that I would not be able to
claim that I had seen 'make' use libraries in "each of the
directories". In fact, using XCode, I have not been able to link the
the object files in individual directories; and this was why I needed
to wait for Xara to deliver an XCode project the ones that I have
created, compile the sources but can't link them. 'make' seems to do
the final link using a command line with words like Kernel/*.o and
wxOil/*.o

Ben.