Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] XaraLX-0.5r1292.tar.bz2 rerolled

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 05:52:12PM +0100, Neil Howe wrote:
[...]
> Our automatic build names the tar archives using the svn revision
> number. And there is a build every 3 hours. So if there are no checkins
> between one build and the next, the tar archive is simply overwritten
> using the same name.
>
> If this is a big problem, we could change it so we only build if the svn
> revision number has changed.

Yes, it really is a stopper-issue with the FreeBSD ports because of the
way it works - when a user is willing to install one port then the port
attempts to fetch the archive from the "master site" - in this case
downloads.xara.com. Then it checks if the pre-recorded checksum matches
the checksum of the just-fetched archive and refuses to continue if they
do not match. This is done at least for security reasons.

In the current situation I see 2 workarounds, which I can do by myself,
without any changes to the xara.com site:
1. Copy the archive on the freebsd.org cluster and refer the port to
  fetch it from there instead of downloads.xara.com.
2. Never update the port to the latest version. E.g. if `svn up' shows
  "At revision 1323." I can update the port to 1322.

I will stick to 2. for now.

Anyway I think that you can really skip creating the archive if the svn
version has not changed since the last archive creation. If you have
changed something in the configuration of the build server it will take
effect in the next build when the svn version increases.

--
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF@dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra