RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Printing

Gerry,

--On 20 June 2006 10:54 +0100 Gerry Iles <GerryI@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[lots of useful info]

Thanks for that

For portability reasons we should keep as much of the current system as
possible, e.g. we should still support printing to devices that don't
allow postscript injection (either because they just don't support it or
because they are not postscript based at all) because on Windows (at
least) we will be passed OS provided DCs like this

The issue really is whether we fix up OSRenderRegion so that printing
works through non-postscript wxDC's (which means right now via
libggnomeprint). I don't see the point in this given:
* libgnomeprint converts them to Postscript anyway and no doubt does a
 worse job than we do
* libgnomeprint is going anyway in favour of GTK printing.

No devices on Linux currently do not support postscript injection EXCEPT
if they are addressed through libgnomeprint. But you can always address
these through wxPostscript DC. This is because (fundamentally) all devices
are postscript right now, because they all print via Ghostscript if they
are not PS based (whether directly, or via libgnomeprint).

Make sense?

Alex