Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] New Ruler functions

Hi Martin,

Here's what I'm thinking about generalising tools access to the rulers. The idea of claiming the ruler is basically right but it would involve the creation of new data structures and there'd be the danger of them getting out of step with tools as tools are switched in and out. So I'm thinking about a simpler idea, with no new stored state, that would let the current tool claim individual ruler mouse events if it uses them. The current tool could choose to claim all, some or no ruler mouse events. If the current tool doesn't claim a ruler mouse event then that event will be sent on to the guideline code.

In other words, we would create a new virtual function in the Tool class with this prototype: virtual BOOL OnRulerClick(DocCoord, ClickType, ClickModifiers, Spread*);

It means that OILRuler and/or Ruler will have a similar set of routines for converting mouse events into OnRulerClick calls as CCamView and DocView have for OnClick which is a bit tedious, but not a problem.

Does that sound OK?

---

Regarding rendering new markers on the ruler: The OILRuler classes will either have to implement new functions to draw specific markers and make those functions available to the Kernel code or they could make more general drawing functions available to the Kernel and let the tool use them to draw different types of marker. I guess the former is more straightforward but this is up to you really.

Phil