Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Re: configure.in:305: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT

Alex Bligh wrote:

--On 05 June 2006 09:40 +0100 Luke Hart <lukeh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Surely if autoreconf will re-create the file the best solution is the
delete them from SVN? That's certainly what we've done in other places,
to be honest I have no idea why I checked all the files in anyway.

Hmmm...

That's certainly one option (and better than the current situation).
Most packages, however, ship with these files there, so you can
just type "./configure ; make" and they will build (i.e. the
autoreconf step is not necessary for non-maintainers).

However, having them in svn means that if you /do/ regenerate them,
svn will try and commit them again.

I think the best thing to do would be to delete them from svn (as
you suggest), but when building the source tarball, to "autoreconf -f -i"
(not -s) first, so at least the tarball can be built from scratch.

Out of interest why do we ask people to do "autoreconf -f -i **-s**" (i.e.
create symbolic links) anyway? Doesn't it just make the build more
fragile to what else you put on the system?

Alex
Most packages don't have them in SVN, but as part of generating the tar-ball they are created (as you suggest).

I was following the instructions for another package (I've forgotten which one, thought). I suspect that using links will ensure that the latest version is always used, rather than the files no longer matching the version of the libraries, etc. on a users machine.

Luke