Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] configure.in:305: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT

On 02/06/06, Vasil Dimov <vd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 02:48:04PM +0100, Ben Fowler wrote:
> On 02/06/06, Vasil Dimov <vd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 02:24:43PM +0100, Ben Fowler wrote:
> >> On 02/06/06, Vasil Dimov <vd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> [ snip ]
> On the gettext question, you should go by what Alex has posted (which
> is correct).
But as Luke noticed this error appears during autoreconf, so obviously
it cannot be fixed by a ./configure parameters.

For the avoidance of doubt: You do, I think, very definitely need a
recent version of gettext (at one time it was the latest version).

You might want to check:

$ which gettext
/sw/bin/gettext

You might have gettext in /usr/bin, /sw/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin . It
probably matters which you use for configuring and compiling XaraLX.

$ gettext --version
gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.14.5
Copyright (C) 1995-1997, 2000-2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Written by Ulrich Drepper.

You certainly need 0.14.1 or later, but IIRC, there is another
requirement, videlicet:

$ which autopoint
$ /usr/local/bin/autopoint --version
/usr/local/bin/autopoint (GNU gettext-tools) 0.14.5
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Written by Bruno Haible

If you are getting confused compiling software that needs autopoint,
on FreeBSD, you probably need to consult with someone knowledgeable
about FreeBSD, and its tools and utilities. I am very happy to respond
to and perhaps answer your questions, but my answers will not be as
concise as those you will get from an expert on your platform!

(Alex and I are singing from the same sheet).

The ability to turn off some i18n features is icing on the cake, and
probably of no interest to you anyway.

As I have implied,I will try to reproduce your problem, get it
properly documented, and maybe solved; but I can't guarantee to do
this today, or even tomorrow.

It is possible that this will cross with other answers, but these
observations may help:

If your gettext is in /usr/local, then you will need to have the
neccessary path in PKG_CONFIG_PATH , try:

$ set | grep PK

You could use something like export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig if your PKG_CONFIG_PATH was
previously empty, but you really should check with the documentation
for pkg-config on your system rather than copy and paste my
suugestion.

Given that you have a gettext.m4 you might want to check the page:
http://www.freebsd.org/old/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-autotools.html
(or any other source of info concerning adding directories to
aclocal's search path that may be known to you - it is surprising hard
to find!)

Post again if you continue to have problems.

Ben